Prime mover with a single semi-trailer and a dolly (or an unladen converter dolly); or a rigid motor vehicle towing a trailer with a GVM greater than 9 tonnes and an unladen converter dolly.
- Be at least 20 years old
- Have held an Australian car licence (other than a learner licence) for at least 2 years or an MR or HR licence for at least 12 months
- If you currently hold an MR licence or below you must get an HC learner licence before doing the heavy combination training and final competency assessment
- Go to a Service Tasmanian shop, show evidence of identity (this may be your driver licence) and pass a heavy vehicle rigid knowledge test (and pay the HR learner licence issue fee, if required
- Successfully complete the heavy combination training and final competency assessment with OnRoad OffRoad Training
- Go to a Service Tasmania shop and
- complete an application form
- show evidence of identify
- pass an eyesight test
- produce a Certificate of Competency to show that you’ve passed, and
- pay the licence extension fee
Using Your Vehicle Requirements (HC)
- Roadworthy, please refer to roadworthy checklist
- Comprehensively insured
- Must be at least loaded to 75% of the GVM (weighbridge docket must be provided)
- A vehicle consisting of a prime mover and a semi-trailer. The prime mover must have a minimum of 3 axles and the semi-trailer a minimum of 2 axles. The vehicle must have a GCM rating of at least 39 tonnes or
- A modified 3 axle prime mover with a certified detachable tray (with the capacity to carry 75% of its specified GVM) with a minimum 15 tonnes GVM and holds dual registration (HC & HR) or
- A heavy rigid vehicle which is towing a trailer. The trailer must have at least two axles and a GVM of 12 tonnes or more
To gain a heavy vehicle licence for a particular class. Where training is required an intensive hands on
training course has been implemented.
On successful completion of the program you will receive a Statement of Attainment for:
- TLILIC3017- Licence to drive a heavy combination vehicle
You will receive a Certificate of Competence, which you will need to take to Service Tasmania.
This program is nationally recognised.
The Training will be delivered by an experienced and qualified trainer, face to face.
The training follows a specifically prepared course session plan.
Assessments will be conducted using a theory and practical assessment tool. The assessor will inform you of each of the assessments prior to them being conducted.
Roadworthy and inspection checklist
- Be roadworthy
- Be registered
- Have a current registration label and a registration plate fitted front and rear
- Be comprehensively insured
- Meet the Heavy Vehicle requirements for each class (Refer to using your vehicle requirements for the relevant class)
- Be clean and tidy, i.e. no loose articles in vehicle
- Have a windscreen that is in good condition in the area swept by the windscreen wiper path, (i.e. must not be cracked, scored or badly chipped or otherwise defective so as to obscure the drivers or testing officers vision)
- Have doors that open from the inside and the outside
- Have effective front and rear indicator lights
- Have effective brake lights
- Have effective head and tail lights
- Have effective windscreen wipers
- All tyres to be fitted to the vehicle must not show a smooth tread pattern that runs continuously across at least 75% of the tyre width that normally comes in contact with the road, or the whole circumference of the tyre
- Have front seat belts that are in good condition
- Have front seats that are securely affixed
- External rear view mirrors must not be defective where it would obscure the drivers vision
- Have effective reverse lights, and
- Have an effective horn
- Have L plates visibly and securely located at the front and rear of the vehicle.
- Check age and licence requirements, eg. Heavy Vehicle Learner Licence
Your vehicle must be loaded to at least 75% capacity by weight for training or tests. Weighbridge docket must be provided and it must have been issued within 24 hours of the course.